I’ve been going back and forth as to whether or not I was ready to share this on my blog… I usually try to keep things pretty upbeat and if I do stray from that, it’s generally after a situation has resolved itself. Right now, Nate and I are pretty much smack-dab in the middle of an impossible decision, and I have no idea what the end result will be. I guess that’s one of the reasons why I have decided to blog about it. One day, I can look back and remember the endless days of weighing pro’s and cons, and — at that point — I can see that once again God brought us through.
So here it is…
Nate and I might sell our house.
I ultimately don’t want to leave the place we’ve called home for the past three years, because I love almost everything about it. It’s a charming Colonial located on a quiet Cul-de-sac with lovely homes and great neighbors. It’s conveniently located just two miles from the house where I grew up and from where my parents still live. It’s located in a country town full of trees, but yet is only five minutes from the highway that takes us into the city.
If we walk in one direction, we can walk to an icecream barn or buy an iced latte from Dunkin Donuts. In the other direction, during the early winter months, we can walk to a farmstand and buy a Christmas tree. It’s a little bit of city with a whole lot of country heart.
It’s home. It felt like home the day our families and friends helped us move in. And the tears and laughter over the years has only contributed to that.
But we don’t have much of a yard… and the yard we do have is a steep hill that has been extremely difficult for Nate to mow since the assault. (The numbness in his leg hasn’t shown signs of improvement, and the doctor said it definitely looks as though it’s permanent). I know that we could hire someone to mow, but it’s kind of a pride thing for Nate. Like most men, he wants to be able to take care of his own yard.
Also, the house can be afforded on one salary, but it will be tight. And we have come to the very definite conclusion that we want to live off one salary in the future, so that we can raise our children with a stay-at-home parent. Case closed. (Hey, an easy decision for once!). And we’re not sure if we want to be crunched so financially when that time comes.
So we’ve been looking at houses in the nearby area’s, and we also met with a realtor to figure out how much our house can sell for. Honestly, there would be a For-Sale sign in our front yard by now if Nate had his way, because — like most guys — he’s able to think much more logically during this time. He sees dollar-signs and the possibility of a flat yard. I just can’t bring myself to sign the papers with our realtor. We’ve driven by 30 homes and crossed each one off the list of possibilities because they just weren’t THE one.
The neighborhood was too dingy. The roads were too busy. The house needed too much work. The hill was too slanted. I’ve come up with excuse after excuse.
It just wasn’t… home. Not like here.
I won’t lie. Nate and I have argued. And discussed. And we’ve even fought, which is crazy for us because we don’t fight. (Gosh, we’ve almost been married 5 years, and we had our first real fight the other day over the issue of a street not having a suitable sidewalk)!
But ultimately, as we decided tonight, home is where we are together… no matter where our future house may be. I just wish I knew where that house was going to be.